InvestorsIraq
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iraq to reject US deal without pullout timetable

3 posters

Go down

Iraq to reject US deal without pullout timetable Empty Iraq to reject US deal without pullout timetable

Post by orlandosf Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:28 am

Iraq to reject US deal without pullout timetable
McCain says insists security conditions in Iraq must dictate US troop withdrawal from country.Najaf, 09 July 2008 (Middle East Online)

Iraq will reject any security pact with the United States unless it contains a specific timetable for the withdrawal of US-led foreign forces, the national security advisor said on Tuesday.

"We will not accept any memorandum of understanding if it does not give a specific date for a complete withdrawal of foreign troops," Muwaffaq al-Rubaie told reporters in the Shiite holy city of Najaf.

However, Republican White House candidate John McCain warned security conditions must dictate troop withdrawals from Iraq.

McCain, who has made staunch support for the US troops 'surge' escalation strategy a centerpiece of his campaign, said that recent security gains were fragile and should not be put at risk.

Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki's comment on Monday that Iraq was seeking such a timetable in talks with Washington on the future US force structure in the country reverberated across the White House race.

"We will withdraw, but ... the victory we have achieved so far is fragile and (the redeployment) has to be dictated by events and on the ground," McCain said, mirroring the Pentagon's line on the issue.

Maliki told Arab ambassadors on Monday he was pressing for such a timetable in negotiations with Washington on an agreement on the status of US forces in Iraq beyond 2008.It was the first time Baghdad's Shiite-led government has demanded such a schedule for a troop withdrawal.

orlandosf

Back to top Go down

Iraq to reject US deal without pullout timetable Empty Re: Iraq to reject US deal without pullout timetable

Post by CreationWorks Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:37 am

Political posturing. Percieved success on this point would undermine any nationalistic high ground claimed by the Sadrists.

CreationWorks

Back to top Go down

Iraq to reject US deal without pullout timetable Empty Re: Iraq to reject US deal without pullout timetable

Post by see me feel me Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:45 am

I say we pull out and let them DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SCUM BAGS

see me feel me

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down